Project List

SOME ACTIVITIES  OF HERITAGE HAMILTON

Sandyford Place  — 1976-1977

Heritage Hamilton Foundation’s predecessor Heritage Hamilton Limited was the catalyst in taking Sandyford Place (35-43 Duke Street) from a demolition target to a National Historic Site and now restored to its original function as privately-owned residences

 

Heritage Happening  — 1977

Heritage Hamilton organized Heritage Happening, bringing together the heritage organizations of Hamilton and Wentworth County to showcase their work and participate in a gala fund-raising auction in the Great Hall of the Scottish Rite (cnr. Queen and King Streets).

 

Piggott Building  —  1988

Heritage Hamilton was instrumental in buying and saving from an uncertain future, the stained-glass windows depicting the construction of the Pigott Building (36 James Street South). This enabled their return to the Piggott’s lobby in time for its re-opening as a residential complex.

 

St. Paul’s Presbyterian Church, Hamilton  —  1989

Heritage Hamilton contributed $8,000 to assist the structural restoration of the landmark  steeple  (the only stone steeple in Ontario) of St. Paul’s Presbyterian Church (70 James Street South).

 

Gore Park  —  1992

Heritage Hamilton assisted in financing a summer student to prepare the drafts of a brochure highlighting the city’s Gore Park and its buildings, a brochure now printed and distributed by the City of Hamilton.

 

John  M. Lyle, Architect  —  1994

In conjunction with other donors, Heritage Hamilton commissioned a published catalogue of the working library of the noted Canadian architect John M. Lyle (Central Presbyterian Church 1908, the High Level Bridge, 1932).  Copies of this booklet for $2.50 each, plus shipping are available by contacting Heritage Hamilton Foundation.

 

Victoria Hall  —  1997

Heritage Hamilton funded a professional architectural feasibility study for the preservation of Victoria Hall a national historic site due to its rare pressed metal facade.  (68 King Street East).

 

 

McMaster University  —  1998

Heritage Hamilton commissioned a video production of the heritage value of McMaster University’s historic core, used during the expansion planning that threatened this significant area.

 

William Aspley Robinson  —  2000

In conjunction with a group of private donors and the Hamilton Museum of Steam and Technology, Heritage Hamilton purchased the manuscript letter-book (1863-1870) of William Aspley Robinson, chief engineer of Hamilton’s Great Western Railway, for preservation care, transcription, research and partial publication.

 

Robert Wetherell  —  2003

Heritage Hamilton co-sponsored with MacNab Circle a successful application to the Ontario Trillium Foundation for the publication of an historical account of Robert Wetherell, the architect of Dundurn Castle and his Hamilton.  Copies of the booklet are available at $10.00 each.  To purchase, contact Heritage Hamilton Foundation.

 

Lister Block  —  2006

Representatives of Heritage Hamilton and the Architectural Conservancy of Ontario, Hamilton, appointed by the Province of Ontario to the Provincial Facilitator’s Working Group on the Lister Block, 1924 (James Street North at King William), argued for a cost-effective rehabilitation and adaptive reuse, the approach eventually recommended by the Working Group.  The building re-opened as municipal office in 2012.

 

Auchmar Estate  —  2007

During municipal hearings proposing the sale of the nationally, provincially and regionally significant Auchmar estate ca. 1855 (Fennel Ave. at West Fifth), Heritage Hamilton presented a strong case for its progressive restoration and living use.

 

Auchmar Challenge Fund  —  2011 to Current

The Auchmar estate was retained by the City of Hamilton as a Community Restoration Project.  Heritage Hamilton joined the community with an Auchmar Challenge Fund in which the Foundation will match dollar-for-dollar donations from the community for the restoration of the southern entrance way of the manor house up to $25,000. 

 

Economics of Heritage Preservation – 2013

Gore BuildingsTo promote the heritage conservation of Hamilton’s Gore, Heritage Hamilton Foundation and Friends of Auchmar hosted a panel discussion by several prominent players engaged in the re-use of heritage buildings. The event, sponsored also by Empire Restoration, Hamilton Economic Development, Hamilton/Burlington Society of Architects, Urbanicity magazine, and The Renew Hamilton Project of the Hamilton Chamber of Commerce, attracted a full house and is reported at www.renewhamilton.ca/uncategorized/economics-of-heritage-preservation/

With your financial assistance we will continue to act where we can make a difference.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Contact Us:

Mailing Address

P.O. Box 89016 Westdale Postal Outlet Hamilton, Ontario, L8S 4R5

Telephone: 905-522-0171

heritagehamiltonfoundation@gmail.com